Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Berry Experience: The Road to an Unwanted Destination

This is the first of probably multiple posts about the best college in the world.

Tonight it sank in a little more that it's real.
It's really coming to a close.
I'm sure tomorrow and Saturday will be similar experiences, but man.
I can't believe I'm almost done with college.
In less than 48 hours I'll be alumni.
 Whew, what a crazy wild ride it has been. 
 People made lists about things they love/memories of their experiences at Berry.
Cecily shared them with all of us.
It flooded my mind with memories.

It really seems like ages ago that I got a flyer in the mail showing this beautiful campus.
I was a sophomore in high school.
It was BEAUTIFUL.
I couldn't believe the gorgeous architecture of the school.
I want to go there.
This was the thought on my mind.
I held onto the flyer.
Tucked it away in a box and kept it safe.

Then senior year of high school happened.
It was time to pick a next step.  
I was still interested in that beautiful school on the flyer from the mail.
A Berry rep came to my high school to try and convince us Berry was the place for us.
BUT, they didn't have my major.
And they were expensive,
REALLY expensive.

A college road trip with my Padre ensued.
Filled with pizza, old radio theater, and lots of driving.
We went to several schools,
but I only remember two:
West Florida
and Berry.

West Florida was amazing.  They had an incredible marine biology program.  Their description of the labs I would get to do made my mouth water.  And it was close to the beach!  You have to understand, I had wanted to be a marine scientist from the time I was 3 years old.  I never changed my mind about what I wanted to do.  I was not on of those kids who went back and forth.  I knew what I wanted, and I was going to go after it with everything inside me.
 
 Then we went to Berry.
I only remember two things about my first visit.
1) One of the professors I talked to was a jerk.  He strongly discouraged me from pursuing marine biology, and I did not appreciate it.  Which of course, made me want to that much more.  This really put a sour taste in my mouth for Berry.  I mean, if they were going to try and dictate what I did, why would I want that!?

2) My tour guide.  He was from England.  Enough said.

I was at a complete loss about what to do.  I loved the opportunities I would have at UWF, but I couldn't quit thinking about Berry.

Berry had this "Night with the Stars" at the Space in Rocket Center in my hometown.  I went and met what felt like everyone on staff in the admissions office.  
This involved lots of listening.

I decided to give Berry another shot and I visited again for "Decision Berry."  I met some people who later became my classmates.   I did some more listening, went on another tour, and talked to some more admissions people.

Still undecided...

Then, I chose.
I started packing to move to the biggest campus in the world.
I began my summer reading of An Ordinary Man by Paul Ruseabagina
and stepped foot on campus for the most craziest/awesome-est SOAR ever.

It blows my mind to think about how much I have changed since then.  I believe God lets us make our own choices, but I also believe He knows what we are going to choose to do.  I credit Him for paving the way to this remarkable place.

I would not change my decision for anything.


Little did I know, God had huge things in store for me over the next four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment