We brought her home from a school picnic when she was just a pup. We told my dad she was "free!" So obviously we needed to keep her! (Ha, a free dog, now there's a laugh). She is still living at my house, but she certainly has not been free. In fact she's turned out to be more expensive than most. Want to know why? Cause my doggie's got problems. I'm not talking emotional problems (well, I hope you could have guessed that much on your own) I'm talking physical problems. She is allergic to EVERYTHING! She has to have this special vegetarian dog food and we have to always keep her ears clean because they get infected a lot (okay, I'll stop grossing you out now).
This is me, Abby, and Noah in our old backyard.
ANYWAY, the other night it was time for her ears to be cleaned. She is incredibly smart, so she knew it was coming. She ran to hide in the other room while we got the materials prepped. When it was time, Mom called her name. She poked her head around the corner, giving us a suspicious eye. Mom said her name again and she came with her tail down. She knew this was going to hurt. But she didn't fight. She just laid down and braced herself. Mom did the hard part while I was just Abby's support system. She laid perfectly still and let my mom do what she couldn't understand. As I watched my dog gracefully submit to my mother's will I couldn't help but think how much she trusted us. After all, she is a dog. We can't explain to her that the medicine is necessary. As smart as she is, she can't understand that. Yet, she laid there and let my mom clean out her ears.
This lead me to the realization that it is the same with God. That is, He does things that don't make any sense to us. As smart as He made us, we just can't understand Him. Yet, we have to trust Him. We must trust His character. We must trust His heart. Submission is never a fun thing. It is not something we enjoy doing. It is hard. It requires a lot of trust. I want to trust God the way Abby trusts my mom. My mom's intention in cleaning her ears is never to bring pain, but always to bring healing. I think even after all these years Abby doesn't understand, but she keeps submitting. She trusts us so much that she doesn't even put up much of a fight. Can you imagine what God could do with us if we trusted Him that much? If we trusted Him to the point of not even questioning our pain?
Man, the possibilities are endless.
p.s. here is a picture of my doggie today. she is a lot older now, but i love her to pieces!
*I promise we don't abuse my dog. We only do what we were instructed to do by the veterinarian.

No comments:
Post a Comment